Sunday, April 8, 2012

Down and Out

I'd like to set the stage for the blog for the rest of the year. Not sure how well I'll be able to keep up with this, but I'm still hoping fore some high adventures and therefore the corresponding blog posts.

In early March the weather suddenly turned very warm here in the midwest. Like 80 for a high warm in March. This is completely unprecedented in recorded history, the highs were about 40 degrees above normal, and in this part of the country (unlike the arid southwest) having this sort of vast deviation from normal is completely unheard of.

For most cyclists, this meant an early start to the riding season. For me, it meant work at Good Oak went into overdrive. I worked 90-100+ hours a week every week in March trying to keep up. Not only was spring early, but things moved faster than normal. Burn season was half as long as normal (yet we still managed to get most of our burns in) and the garlic mustard bolted up very fast. It, and most other spring plants, are a full month ahead of their usual schedule.

As you might expect, this leaves absolutely no time for riding. I think I went 3 weeks without throwing my leg over the bike at all. I'm pretty sure the Triple-D accounts for about half of my outdoor riding hours for the year so far (at least I got on the trainer a bit and did a fair amount of running back in January and February). So I'm not sure what this means for my big plans for this racing season. I do know that I am going to have to postpone my marathon attempt for another year. Also, I'm not going to rush into things on the bike and risk injury. My knee may still be a little tender from an impact last fall that took me out, but I'm hopeful that 4 weeks of "rest" was enough to heal it up.

So I guess its time to start getting my base miles in. I'm pretty sure you're supposed to start with that in April... right?

No comments:

Post a Comment