Saturday, September 8, 2018

Lessons re-learned from WEMS @ New Fane

”Raced” the 10-hour WEMS event at New Fane today. Learned/relearned a few things that. I want to note for myself.

I should try instant oatmeal as a pre-race breakfast. Should be easy to digest. Today either the bagels I ate, the fact that I ate the bagels only 2 hours before the race or the chocolate I snacked on on the drive the race gave me some serious GI trouble early in the race. GI trouble is what eventually took me out. No dairy or chocolate 24-hours before a race.

Only eat food you are used to eating during a race. We had no energy food in the house, I grabbed what I could, I think some of it didn’t settle so well. Plan ahead and shop a couple days in advance.

If your nipples start to chaff, protect them immediately with a band aid. They will only get worse.

Lots of Bag Balm.

I made a bunch of change to my bike before the race without testing them first. I should know better, butI got away with most of it. biggest problem was with my new hydration pack bladder. Somehow I did nothing to customize it. It was in the way and hard to stow.

No comments:

Post a Comment